Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Two Injured In Palm Bay Nitric Acid Spill

PALM BAY, Florida -- Two people were injured after an accidental chemical spill at a Palm Bay business.  

At approximately 3 p.m., Palm Bay firefighters and paramedics responded to the area of  2320 Commerce Drive NE for reports of a chemical spill with possible exposures.  

When firefighters arrived on scene, they located two individuals suffering from injuries relating to  an exposure to nitric acid.  The victims are employees of a business that repairs and recycles electronic circuit boards.  

During work operations, one of the employees was transferring nitric acid from one container to another when a small amount estimated at less than one quart spilled.  This employee received burns to his hand and eyes and was transported to the hospital  for treatment.  A second employee was also transported for exposure after inhaling vapors.
 
A Fire Safety Report was written/given to the company to assure no one returns to the facility until it is properly cleaned and decontaminated by a professional cleaning company.

No comments:

FOLLOW BREVARD TIMES FOR UPDATES:
Google+