Monday, August 13, 2012

Home Catches Fire In Port St. John

PORT ST. JOHN, Florida -- At 3:13 p.m. today, firefighters responded for a reported structure fire in the 6800 block of Buxton Avenue in Port St. John, Florida.

On arrival at the scene, firefighters reported thick, black smoke coming from the attached garage of a single story home.  Crews made entry with a hand line through the front door of the home and worked their way to the interior garage door. 

Upon opening the door, firefighters encountered heavy fire conditions in the garage.  The fire was burning along one wall and extending to the roof of the garage.  

Brevard County Fire Rescue spokesman Lt. Jeffrey Taylor said that firefighters were able to extinguish the fire in less than five minutes - containing the fire to the garage.  The attic space was investigated for fire extension but was found to be clear. 

According to BCFR, the fire was reported by an alert neighbor who spotted the smoke.  The home is occupied by the homeowner (an unidentified male), his son, a dog, and five cats.  All were accounted for.  

The homeowner and his son were not home when the fire began but arrived on scene after being contacted by the neighbor.  The home was equipped with working smoke alarms and is fully insured. 

Damage is estimated at $15,000.  All animals were accounted for and uninjured.  The residents of the home declined Red Cross assistance.

Officials have determined that the fire was caused by an electrical issue near a work bench in the garage, possibly from a fan used to cool the work space.

A fire crew from Titusville Fire and Emergency Services assisted at the scene. No injuries were reported.