Monday, November 5, 2012

Mobile Home Fire Near Cocoa Expo Stadium

COCOA, Florida -  Brevard County Fire Rescue firefighters responded this morning to a reported structure fire at the Cypress Strand Mobile Home Park, located off of Friday Road near the Cocoa Expo Sports Center.  A neighbor called 911 shortly after 6 a.m. to report flames coming from a mobile home at 3406 Frankie Lane. 

When firefighters arrived on scene, the mobile home was engulfed in flames, with thick smoke pouring from the windows and doors.  Fire had broken through the roof of the structure and firefighters quickly worked to prevent the fire from spreading to two nearby homes.  Both homes were successfully defended and no damage was reported to either home.   The fire was extinguished in less than 30 minutes.  Officials say that extensive overhaul was required to ensure that the fire would not reignite. 

The occupant of the home told investigators that he rented the home and was its lone occupant.  Officials say that the victim began moving out of the home yesterday but still had property in the home.   Fire investigators from BCFR and the State Fire Marshal's office believe that the fire was accidental and possibly caused by an electrical problem in the home.  Florida Power and Light crews were on scene and disconnected the home's main power.

Damages have been estimated at $15,000 and the home was not insured.  The fire victim is not receiving Red Cross assistance and is now staying at the home he was moving into.  No firefighter or civilian injuries were reported.

Deputies from the Brevard County Sheriff's Office assisted with traffic control.  Frankie Lane was closed for more than one hour to accommodate apparatus and hose lines.  Friday Road experienced periodic lane closures while fire operations were underway.