Saturday, February 2, 2013

Microwaved Food Sets Fire To Bed Mattress

PALM BAY,  Florida -  An accidental cooking related fire is blamed for causing approximately $20,000 to a home Saturday morning in Palm Bay, Florida.  


Just before 10 a.m. Saturday, Palm Bay Fire Rescue responded to the 400 block of Crystal Mist Road NW for reports of an active structure fire.  The four occupants of the residence, twin six-year-old boys, a four-year-old, and a 15-year-old babysitter safely evacuated the home while firefighters worked to stop further spread of the fire.  


Further investigation by the fire marshal revealed the fire started on a mattress in one of the bedrooms.  It was later determined one of the twin boys cooked food in the microwave, wrapped the hot item in a towel, and placed it on the mattress which then ignited.  The Red Cross is assisting the family.  The fire is ruled accidental.  There were no working smoke detectors in the home.  There were no injuries.