Florida Family Eats LSD-Tainted Steak
TAMPA, Florida -- Shortly after dinner, Ronnie Morales felt sick and called 911. However, he was feeling so ill that his pregnant girlfriend drove him to St. Joseph’s Hospital in Tampa, Florida.
When they arrived, his girlfriend also became ill and was rushed across the street to St. Joseph's Women's Hospital where they induced labor, as she was 9 months pregnant. A short time later, her daughters, 7-year-old Elyana and 6-year-old Rayna, started experiencing hallucinations and also felt ill. Both children and Ronnie Morales received tracheal intubation and were hospitalized. They were released from the hospital in good condition on Wednesday, March 5th. The mother and her healthy baby boy were released Thursday, March 6th.
Tampa Police Department’s Forensic investigators took possession of the food items that the family consumed prior to falling ill. They also took the family’s oven for testing. Initial test results received on Friday from the Hillsborough County Medical Examiner’s Office determined the family consumed bottom round steak contaminated with LSD. Toxicology test on samples from the family members are pending. Results are expected in the next three weeks.
Detectives determined the family bought the meat at a Walmart located at 1501 North Dale Mabry Highway. Police say that Walmart has been very cooperative with the investigation and voluntarily turned over all meat of that type that was on their shelves at that time. The Medical Examiner is currently testing that meat.
TPD stated in a release that it does not have any other similar cases. At this point, it appears this is an isolated incident. Detectives are still working to determine if a crime has occurred. The Federal and Florida Department of Agriculture along with the Hillsborough County Health Department are investigating the case with TPD detectives.