|A South Florida man pulls a shark out of the ocean for photos. Credit: Still of Facebook video taken by Ashleigh Walters.|
PALM BEACH, Florida - A video of a Florida man pulling a shark out of the Atlantic Ocean to pose with it for a few photographs has gone viral on social media.
NBC affiliate WPTV Channel 5 reporter Ashleigh Walters posted on her Facebook page a video of the man pulling what appears to be a juvenile bull shark from water onto shore in Palm Beach, Florida.
The Facebook video shows that after a few unsuccessful attempts, the man was able to bring the shark onto the beach where he then pinned the apex predator long enough to get a few photographs of himself posing with the shark. According to Walters, the shark was later released back into deeper water after the video ended.
Bull sharks are common along the east coast of Florida and juvenile bull sharks frequent the coast from Palm Beach, Florida to Daytona Beach, Florida. That's because the Indian River Lagoon, which extends along Florida's east coast from southern Volusia County to Palm Beach County, is an important nursery habitat for baby bull sharks. When fully grown, bull sharks reach 7 to 11 feet in length and weigh between 200 and 300 pounds.
In addition to the great white shark and tiger shark, bull sharks are considered one of the "big three" shark species by the International Shark Attack File that inflict serious injuries or death to humans. Twenty-seven human deaths have been attributed to bull sharks. Bull sharks are one of the few species of sharks that can live in both fresh and saltwater.
MORE FLORIDA MAN STORIES:
- Florida Man Bites Dog, Then Brother
- Florida Man Had Daughter Sell Pot Brownies At School
- Florida Man Naked In Driveway Because 'It Was Hot Outside'
- Florida Man Steals From Walmart, Uses Shopping Cart As Getaway Car
- Florida Man Attacks Flamingo At Busch Gardens
- Florida Man Charged With Picking Magic Mushrooms While Carrying An Alligator
- Florida Woman Goes After Man With Ax For Refusing Sex
- Florida Man Celebrates Earth Day With Sand Art, Leaves Death Traps For Sea Turtles
- Florida Man Jailed After Reporting For Jury Duty Drunk, Supreme Court Reverses
- Florida Man Pulls Bull Shark From Ocean For Photos
- Florida Man Shot Over Argument Whether Florida Or Ohio Strip Clubs Are Better
- Florida Man Arrested For Throwing Alligator Into Wendy's Drive-Thru
- Florida Man Smothers 6-year-old Son While Playing Video Games
- Florida Man Shot Twice After Daring Brother To Shoot Him
- Florida Woman Eats Chicken, Drinks Wine While Driving Walmart Shopping Cart
- Wife Finds Strange Florida Woman Asleep In Husband's Clothes
- Florida Burglar Killed By Alligator When Fleeing Deputies
- "Florida Man" Documentary Filmed In Brevard County
- Florida Man Advertises Counterfeit Cash For Sale On Craigslist
- Florida Man Ignores Lifeguards As Shark Approaches
- Florida Man Shoots Self In Head To See If Round In Chamber
- Florida Man Makes False 911 Murder Call To Get Out Of Traffic Ticket
- Florida Man Sets Self On Fire While Trying To Burn Cross
- Florida Man Charged With Masturbating On Amtrack, Claimed "Itchy Stomach"
- USA TODAY Punk'd By Florida Man Named 'Howie Felterbush'
- Florida Man Couldn't Drive Stick Shift During Carjacking
- Florida Man Set On Fire While Siphoning Fuel With A Shop-Vac